Monday, July 25, 2016

AUTHORITY ISSUES



Why listen?

Who are the people we are to listen to?  Why listen to one over another?  

I might choose to listen to an experienced electrician over someone whose knowledge was acquired by listening to Glen Campbell sing about the Wichita Lineman.  It is good, I think, to have a surgeon who has been trained before cutting on me.  There is a place for authority and knowledge in certain areas.  

I was asked recently, “Why should I listen to you over others?”  Good question.  And if it has to do with surgery I suggest listening to the surgeon.  The question was more directed at the spiritual.  So, indeed, why listen?  

 

For those interested I will offer a response.  The Apostles had to provide an answer to that kind of question from time to time.  It is legit.  Paul answered it.  And John does so as well.  Take a look at the way John does this.  

 We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us.  We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.  We are writing these things so that you may fully share our joy. 1 John 1:1-4 (NLT) 

John shares in this opening to his letter the authority he has.  There is theology and experience.  There is knowledge and emotion.  He explains that his life is better as a result of this revelation and experience with Jesus which is joy to him and he wants others to share in that joy too.  

Did people accept that John had seen Jesus or that Jesus was the Word of life revealed by God the Father?  Some did.  Many unfortunate ones did not.  Could God really send His Son to be born as a human being?  Could the Son be Jesus, and, if so, what would that mean for people?  

It is so generous of God to reveal Himself in various ways to people through the ages, but His greatest revelation was in His Son.  Amazing love for us prompted that.  And Jesus came and died and rose again.  He has been elevated to the highest position above all others.  To know Him is joy as John said.  

I agree with John and I am writing these things so that others may fully share in the joy of fellowship with God the Father and His Son, Jesus.  Knowing Him has been a joy for me from the very beginning when I really realized who He really is and received Him.  For me the swirling chaos of the world began to fall into order.  My heart swelled with a new kind of love.  To seek after Him was of top concern.  The earliest verse I remember intentionally memorizing was Jeremiah 15:16.  

Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16 (NASB) 

Going through and reading the Bible was an adventure like no other.  Learning to study it and discover more from it made it even better.  Eventually I went to college and seminary.  The education added levels of knowledge and training in ministry which I needed and appreciate.  My journey in walking with God and pointing others to Him has gone on now for 44 years.  

Lots of people have more and better education than I have.  Many have better ministry credentials.  Not all those who have better education or ministry credentials know God as I do.  That is something to boast about according to Jeremiah the prophet.  

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things," declares the LORD.  Jeremiah 9:23-24 (NASB)

To know Him is a thrill.  I love it.  I love Him.  Everyday.  In all situations.  Knowing Him is a delight.  It has been since the beginning, but has increased exponentially along the way.  He has been a rock, my constant, my guiding star.  He has been the Almighty at times and a friend who listens at other times.  He has corrected me and held me accountable for wrongs I have committed, and He has been gracious and forgiving of sins I have done.  He has loved me when I didn’t really love.  He has poured love into me so that I could have something to share.  His presence is unbeatable.  His wisdom incomparable.  His teaching always remarkable.  I am indebted to Him for allowing me to know Him.  

As He did with Paul He has done with me.  Paul met Jesus after His death, burial, resurrection and ascension into heaven.  The risen Christ met with Paul.  Initially on the Damascus Road, but later Jesus trained Paul.  He mentions this in Galatians.  

I received my message from no human source, and no one taught me. Instead, I received it by direct revelation from Jesus Christ. Galatians 1:12 (NLT) 

I am different from Paul in that I had a number of wonderful human teachers.  God-given and gifted teachers who love the Lord.  I, like Paul, have also been taught by the Lord.  Why He chose to do things that way I have no answer for.  He showed up.  

I also identify with John in his opening of 1 John. “We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands.” When the Lord showed up I saw Him, the risen Christ, with my own eyes and touched Him with my own hands.  He spoke.  I listened.  I was scared.  He comforted.  I was questioning.  He answered my questions.  I was overwhelmed by His radiance, His presence, His glory, His magnificence, His kindness, His love, His wisdom.  That experience with Him a few years ago opened up more opportunities with Him.  It is still a mind-blowingly incredible thing to meet with Him, to learn from Him, to have a relationship with Him.  Bible study, prayer, ministry and just living have even more wonderful facets to them.  All of them shining in His light.  

So, why listen?

It glorifies the Lord and goes better for you.  Listen to the leaders God has given you.  Those who know God and teach you His Word.  Watch their lives and see if it is real.  Follow the example of their faith.  Hebrews has a couple of verses that help with this.  

Remember your leaders who taught you the word of God. Think of all the good that has come from their lives, and follow the example of their faith.

Obey your spiritual leaders, and do what they say. Their work is to watch over your souls, and they are accountable to God. Give them reason to do this with joy and not with sorrow. That would certainly not be for your benefit.  Hebrews 13:7-17 (NLT) 

Why listen to me?  If God has given me to you as a leader, then listening to me is a good idea.  If you have another leader, then listen to them.  Do it and you will honor God and it will be for your benefit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment