Friday, June 15, 2012

God’s People at Crossroads, Part 3




There is a fabulous verse in 1 Corinthians 2:9 in The Message it says this:

No one’s ever seen or heard anything like this,
Never so much as imagined anything quite like it—
What God has arranged for those who love him.

Not seen or heard or imagined anything like it.  Wow.  This could be quite a journey. 

So, if this is true why would I ever try to work things out my way?  Why would I want to control things to fit my perceptions?  God has something not seen or heard or imagined by me, well, then I can hardly work toward it no matter how clever or cute I am.   His plan is better.  His desire for me is better.   And even in my wildest dreams I can’t come up with something so grand.  I want what God wants for me.  I want to discover the life truly abundant. 

I am presented with a number of options at the crossroads.  I can choose God’s way or any other way.  But only God’s way leads to the abundant life.  We all make choices.  Jesus tells a story about a man who has a dinner and invites a number of people to come.  They are at the crossroads.  The story has to do with God the Father inviting people to the Kingdom.  Here is how they responded:

18“Then they all began to beg off, one after another making excuses. The first said, ‘I bought a piece of property and need to look it over. Send my regrets.’
19“Another said, ‘I just bought five teams of oxen, and I really need to check them out. Send my regrets.’
20“And yet another said, ‘I just got married and need to get home to my wife.’
21“The servant went back and told the master what had happened. He was outraged… Luke 14  The Message

I imagine we have all had our excuses when God has come calling.  He says take a day or a weekend to spend with Me, and we respond no because we have stuff to take care of.  Maybe He says come close to Me, focus on Me for a year I have something I want to do something you can’t imagine and we say “that’s nice, maybe another time, I want to date now and maybe get married and then, of course, after I’m married I won’t be available, but thanks for the invitation.”  Sad, isn’t it?  The God of Glory blown off.  And we miss out on the amazing unimaginable things He has for us.  Jesus says the Master was “outraged” at the response of the people. 

How do you make sure not to outrage the Master?  Go when He invites you to come.  Don’t make anything else more important than God.  Simple really, let God be God in your life. 

Jesus gets very intense and personal a bit later in chapter 14 when He says to people following Him you have to choose.  You are at the crossroads of life and you have to choose…your family or Me?  He said it this way, “Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters—yes, even one’s own self!—can’t be my disciple.” The answer for many at this point is to turn and take another path and not be a disciple of Jesus.  He has our good in mind.  He has the best for our family in store, but when we don’t trust Him we cling to our family and make them more than God.  It all seems so cruel doesn’t it?  To choose Jesus who we don’t even see over our kids or the next family gathering?  But for those who have chosen God’s way at the crossroads have seen a bit of that which they had never heard or seen or imagined.  They broke away from self and gave God a chance to do what He has been planning since the beginning.  The explosions of joy and delight in their hearts would flow throughout them.  Now imagine receiving back a loved one who is a disciple of Jesus and has let go of these things to follow Him.  They would be filled with the Spirit and His fruit.  They would bring a new light to the family. 
Jesus wraps up Luke 14 with this:

33“Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good-bye, you can’t be my disciple.
34“Salt is excellent. But if the salt goes flat, it’s useless, good for nothing.
“Are you listening to this? Really listening?”

God is offering more than we can imagine for this life and the one to come.  But come to the crossroads and decisions have to be made.  God says come and I will show you amazing things, but if a Christian has a hot relationship going, then far too many times they say, “See You later, God!”  God says, “Come!” and the plans for making money or getting projects done or playing with a hobby or a sport catch our attention and, “Thanks, but no thanks, Lord.”

There are those who are saying, “Yes.”  Praise God, there are those saying, “Yes,” to God.  Inside things are happening for them.  Life is more than they had thought.  The relationship with God takes on new dimensions.  Every day and every night God is showing up.  The joy of the Lord is their strength.  The JOY.  People only really get that when they go God’s way at the crossroads. 

Listening to Him is crucial.  Discovering relationship with God above all else is central.  Realizing Who He is and what He has done is vital.  If you need more on this check some of the blogs here. 

God is calling you to a life you have never ever dreamed of…better than anything you have seen or heard.  Come on!

No comments:

Post a Comment